If a power outage occurs, Rama Fire and Rescue recommends that you turn the thermostat(s) down to minimum and turn off all appliances, electronic equipment and tools to prevent injury, damage to equipment and fire. Power can be restored more easily when the system is not overloaded. Do not use barbecues or camping heating equipment or home generators indoors.
Use a flashlight. If you must use candles, be sure to use proper candleholders.
Never leave lit candles unattended.
Using Food When the Power Goes Off
Alerts: Cooking Without Electricity
*Never use-cooking equipment designed for outdoor use indoors. This could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
*Before using a fireplace after an earthquake, have your chimney and flue inspected for cracks. Sparks may escape through a small crack and start a fire in the wall or attic.
Winter Power Failure
If the power outage leaves you without heat for some time, and there is a threat of pipes freezing or bursting, drain the pipes and shut off the main water supply. As you drain your pipes, you may want to collect the water in clean containers for drinking and cleaning purposes. Open all faucets including your water heater. If your water heater is electric, drain the hot water heating system by turning it off and leaving the valves open. Add plumbing antifreeze to the toilet and other pipes with standing water. If you have a septic tank, antifreeze could damage it so make sure you pump the chemical from the plumbing fixtures and pipes before they are refilled with water.
Energy Conservation Recommendations
To conserve power to help avoid a blackout, the power industry recommends:
Copyright © 2015. Chippewas of Rama First Nations. All Rights Reserved.